You can now list empty folders inside a drive, folder, or entire network. Find empty files and remove useless clutter from your storage. Reducing unused file count improves the overall performance of the system. Folder Size is a powerful free disk cleanup and space analysis tool and finding empty directories and files is just one of its many features.
Find Empty Folders or Find Empty Files
The latest version of Folder Size provides three new reports:
- Empty Folders (zero sizes) – this report will list all the empty folders inside the currently selected drive or folder. It displays zero-size folders so if there are only empty folders inside a folder or it contains empty files it will still be displayed as empty.
- Empty Folders (zero items) – unlike the zero-size empty folder report, this one looks for zero files and sub-folders. Therefore if a folder contains items even if they are empty they will not be listed.
- Empty Files (zero sizes) – The empty files report has only one variation as the files can not contain other files or folders. Therefore, they are either empty or not.
How to List Empty Folder & Files
- Scan the drive or folder that should be analyzed. Select the location and click the “Scan” button.
- Select the folder or drive that you want to search for empty folders or files
- Switch the report from the toolbar to Empty Folders (zero sizes), Empty Folders (zero items), or Empty Files (zero sizes)
- All the empty items are listed in the large details view on the right side of the application together with all their properties.
- If you want to list empty folders or files inside another drive or folder just click on it to select it. The empty items will be listed instantly. You do not need to perform a new scan.
Is it Safe to Delete Empty Folder or Empty Files?
Generally, an empty folder or file is safe to delete as it contains no data. In some cases, though they may be deliberately created and needed by an application. For example, a logs folder may have been created during installation by an application. Such a folder could stay empty until an error occurs and the application needs to write in it. If the application does not check if the folder exists it may cause an error or a crash if you have deleted it.
With that said it is good to pay attention to the files and folders that you delete even if they are empty. Obviously, you can not lose data by deleting unoccupied folders or blank files, but you may cause errors in applications. Of course, you can re-install an application to fix such errors if that happens.
Usually, deserted folders are projects, data, logs, or others. Those are left behind after uninstalling poor applications and they are safe to delete. You should carefully inspect them before removal though.
Folder Size Reports – Largest Files & Largest Folder
The largest files and largest folders reports were limited to 50 items. We have increased this limit to 100 items per report. The new limit applies also to the oldest and newest file reports, and find longest paths report too. The new empty folders and file reports are not limited. They will list all the items inside a folder, drive, or network.
This new release of the application includes also some small fixes and improvements. The startup time of the application was not slow, but we have cleaned some code to make it even faster. The help file was not displayed if the application was started from the File Explorer context menu or by double-clicking a project file.
A multi-monitor or a dual-monitor rare issue is now fixed too. The application stores the position of the application on close. The issue appears If you are using a dual monitor system and use the application on the second monitor. If you have closed the application and then disconnect the second monitor the application was positioned outside of the now smaller desktop. This issue is now fixed and the application will be moved to the primary monitor if a secondary no longer exists.
All the new features can be found on the Folder Size What’s New page.
This tool has a free version that you can download here: Folder Size
Use the buttons at the left to share this great app with your family and friends. If you have suggestions please drop a comment below. We will be glad to hear from you.